Prevention and Training
Join Rebels Against Sexual Assault
This new student group works to raise awareness about sexual assault, relationship violence, and stalking while also supporting survivors from all walks of life. Join them on Orgsync or email firstname.lastname@example.org to join the organization’s mailing list.
Be an Active Bystander
As a community, the University of Mississippi encourages our members to engage in bystander intervention to prevent power-based personal violence before it happens. As a collective, we can change the culture of our community to one where violence is never accepted.
There are three types of Green Dots we can do to act as bystanders:
- Check in with a person who looks like he or she needs assistance.
- Call a friend in a new relationship when you have not heard from him or her in a while.
- If you see someone who has had too much to drink, get her or him safely home using a designated driver or call a cab.
- Spill a drink or call attention to yourself.
- Tell the person his or her car is getting ticketed or towed.
- Ask one or both of the people to go somewhere else with you safely.
- If you fear for your safety or someone else’s, call the University Police Department or the Oxford Police Department.
- Have security at the bar or party check in on someone you do not know when you are concerned.
- In a residence hall, call your Community Assistant to intervene.
Find out more about Green Dot and bystander intervention from the Violence Prevention Office.